RnR Seattle Race Recap

This post is a long time coming. Sorry for the delay!


My alarm went off o-dark-thirty (also known as 4:30) and I started with my pre race rituals. You know how it goes… Get dressed in a complete and total daze, then get redressed because your shirt is on backwards, eat oatmeal, gag on said oatmeal, etc. Before I knew it, it was time to head to the race start.

Somehow, I talked hubs into driving me there. It was PERFECTION. We hit absolutely zero traffic and he dropped me off about a block from the start. Can’t get better than that! I had some time before the blogger picture, so I decided to break in the porta johns before the lines got long. Luckily for me, I got to break in a brand new one. Yep… No vomit inducing smell here!

After, I headed to corral 7 to meet up with the other bloggers.


Some of my favs… Adrian, TriGirl, Me, Rebecca.


Gloomy morning, but no rain!!

I ran into a bunch of my Ragnar teammates! Of course, we had to pose for a pic. Team Nuun Kids on the Block all the way!


[Picture shamelessly stolen from Holly. L to R: Me, Tasha, Holly, Lauren, and Alanna]

All of the bloggers showed up, so we took one huge group shot and then headed to our corrals.


Rebecca, TriGirl, Adrian, Ann Marie and I decided to start in the same corral even though I am approximately one bajillion times slower than them.

[Panoramic view of the race start!]

Before I knew it, it was time to take off. I had only one goal for this race: have a freaking blast! I didn’t want to focus on time at all. I wanted to feel like I could stop and take pictures if I wanted to, take in the scenery if I wanted to, etc. Since my garmin wasn’t working right for the first couple miles (since we were in the heart of downtown surrounded by huge buildings) it really forced me to run by feel. A little after mile 1, I pulled back and my bloggy friends kept on chugging along.

I took my first little walk break around mile 4. I stripped off my arm sleeves, tied them to my fuel belt, and took a couple sport beans. Then I kept chugging along.

This part of the course was slightly boring. We ran down Rainier Ave which is kinda run down. Soon, we made a turn towards mile 5 where I noticed TONS of people walking. Why would tons of people walk during a race? Oh, because they expected us to run up a mountain, that’s why! Steepest uphill and downhill ever. The downhill was kind of scary!

Then we headed towards lake Washington. This is where the course started to come alive.

The views of Lake Washington were unbelievable. Just like the Seattle Half Marathon, they had a whole section full of people holding American flags. Gets me every time. I tried to snap a picture of it, but it just doesn’t do it justice.


Next up was the I-90 tunnel. I had heard a lot of complaints about running through the tunnel, but it didn’t really bother me. It was a big steamy schwety mess, but other than that, it was kinda cool.

Before I knew it, we were coming up on mile 9.


From the mile 9 marker, we could see views of downtown Seattle and the stadiums. In true “taking my time and enjoying the race” fashion, I stopped and snagged some pics.


At this point, my legs were slightly tired but they weren’t nearly bad as I was expecting given the number of hills we had climbed. Next we ran right by the stadiums and then hopped onto the on ramp of the 99. The views of the Puget Sound were GORGEOUS, so I stopped and snapped some more pics.


Then, right around the mile 11 marker, I noticed a marathoner down (at their mile 24). There was a man helping him, but since most runners don’t carry phones on them but I do, I immediately pulled over to help. The poor guy only had 1 gel and 0 water up to that point in his race. I don’t know what he was thinking. I immediately gave him the rest of my Nuun to help hydrate him and we got a hold of the EMTs. It was pretty scary because when I first got there, the guy was able to tell us his name and age, but by the time the EMTs got there, he couldn’t. Because he couldn’t, the EMTs looked at the back of his bib for his info. I never fill out the info on the back of my bib, but I COMPLETELY understand the importance of it now. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS fill out the info people!!! I will from now on!

10-15 minutes after I pulled over, he was in good hands, so I continued finishing my race. Some old school jams came on my ipod and REALLY helped me to kick it up a notch to the finish. P.S. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a HUGE ass hill at the very end of the race needs to be kicked in their shins. That was brutal!

I ended up finishing the race in 2:56. If I wouldn’t have stopped to help the runner, there is a good chance I would have gotten a PR even with all the stopping I did to take pictures. Oh well. It was worth it, and I would stop again in a heartbeat. After all, we are all in this together.

After the race, I met up with more bloggy friends. They all KILLED their runs. Amazing job ladies!


Overall, I absolutely LOVED this course. It was seriously gorgeous. The only boring part was running down Rainier Ave, but since it was at the beginning of the race, I didn’t really care. I will absolutely be doing this race again. There are definitely some big hills, but there are also some good downhills to make up for it. Highly recommend!!!



Filed under Uncategorized

8 responses to “RnR Seattle Race Recap

  1. Wow that is so scary about the runner who was down. It’s awesome of you to help! I was very sick during a race one time (ahem, never should have started it…) and stopped along the side a LOT, and I was amazed at how many people offered to help. The running community is awesome. I enjoyed Seattle RnR too, I ran the full. Loved the city!

  2. You are amazing that you stayed to help that man! If only he knew what you did- you are a rock star!!! Great job on the run! Can’t wait to do lunch or dinner or bar hopping soon!!

  3. First off thanks for being so awesome and helping the fallen runner! That’s what it is ultimately all about. 🙂

    Second…did your Garmin just freak out on elevation? I was curious how steep up/down the hill at mile 5 was but my Garmin (and everyone I’ve asked so far as well) doesn’t even show a hill there really (but showed a 400 foot hill in downtown, which there wasn’t LOL).

  4. What an AMAZING thing you did!! I’m sure that runner was pretty scared and having someone there getting help and hydrating them was probably a huge help! Great job enjoying the the entire course and taking it all in…I think that is something I forgot to do 🙂

  5. Awesome race Stacie! I never fill out the info on my bib either, but realize that it is there for a reason and maybe I should fill it out! Next time I will because that would be scary to have nobody know who I was if I was in trouble in a race. EEEEEK.

  6. I am so glad you stopped to help that guy-people get so easily wrapped up in their own thing, but there will always be another race for that PR. I’m glad we got to hang out a bit before and after the race! Thanks for the shout out 🙂

  7. You are so amazing for stopping. I never fill out that stuff on my bib either, and that is probably EXTREMELY stupid of me. I hope that guy is okay! I’m sure he’s so appreciative of your help. When’s your next half so you can get your PR???

  8. Great Job on the race! I love your attitude about just enjoying everything! You’re so awesome and you like saved a guys life! Go you 🙂
    Ps did I tell you Im jealous of you and your bloggy friends 🙂
    ❤ ya!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s